This description was written by Theresa Randles, the Regional Liaison for ORRG.
The Ontario Regional Resource Group (ORRG) formed in 2007 to foster the growth of a strong network of grandmothers groups in Ontario, supporting the Grandmothers to Grandmothers Campaign of the Stephen Lewis Foundation. It is made up of approximately 8 – 10 women who belong to grandmothers groups throughout Ontario (excluding the Ottawa/Gatineau region). ORRG works with the SLF staff, and aims to supplement the support to grandmothers groups that they provide.
With the growth of the Grandmothers Campaign, ORRG recognizes the need to constantly re-evaluate the ways it can offer support to the grandmothers groups. Some of the groups have several years experience advocating for the African grandmothers and fundraising to support the work of the Stephen Lewis Foundation. At the same time, new groups are starting up in many communities across Ontario. Sub-regions in Ontario have begun to network and meet to address the uniqueness of their particular area of Ontario. ORRG focuses its efforts to support grandmothers groups in five main areas. These are:
- Support for start up of new group
- Support for sub-regional meetings throughout Ontario
- Organize an annual Regional Gathering for all grandmothers groups
- Produce the ORRGoodnewsletter twice a year, in May and November
- Provide opportunities for education, group development and networking for the grandmothers groups in Ontario
For more information about ORRG please contact email@example.com.